Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Are you settling for 'Good'?

I was listening to a sermon today from Alistair Begg. He has a sweet accent so every thing he says seems to be profound. Anyway, I heard him talk today about choosing things that are Best instead of just Good.

We can probably, should be able to, differentiate between good and bad. That usually isn't the hard part. But what if part of Satan's plan of destruction wasn't in getting us to always choose bad, but getting us to settle.

I wondered what kind of day we would have if always made the Best possible choices. There are plenty of good choices we make, but are we missing out on blessings because we are settling for something just plain good enough? 

Examples: There are lots of women who are good Christian women. But the best choice for me in picking a friend is someone who isn't afraid of confronting me when I am not living the way I should. 
There are not so many good shows on tv. But there is probably a best option when flipping through the channels. Or maybe the best choice is to sometimes hit the power button.
There are a lot of things to say to help lift up someone who is discouraged, but maybe the best choice is to pray with them.

I think Best choices is something that would take serious thought, consideration, and prayer throughout the day. You would really be intentional about the things you were doing, saying and watching. That sounds like a good day. No, a BEST day! But that is very easy for me to type. Maybe not so easy to do.

I am not really talking about every decision. Like pb and j or a turkey sandwich. I'm sure, unless you were allergic, they are both fine choices. But there are things that do matter. It matters how you talk to you kids. You might not have yelled, but you didn't make the best choice when disciplining them. (Yup, just didn't make the best choice about 5 minutes ago.)

Ok here is the real question: does the Best choice every vary? I would say yes, but of course you can disagree. Some days you might need to delay doing the dishes to spend some extra quality time with one of the kids who is acting out. But the next day the kids are fine and the laundry really needs to get done because no one has any clean socks!

Wondering how to figure out what the best choice is? Well good news! If you are a Christian, you've been given a gift! The Holy Spirit! John 16:7-8 says that the Holy Spirit was given to: "convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment". I think this is one of those instances where he can help us with judging the good or best choice. 

I don't want to miss out on any blessing the Lord has for you because I settled for something just 'good'. I doubt that you do either. Grab an accountability partner and set out for Best choices. I hope it makes your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment