Thursday, June 23, 2011

Does God Hate You?

I heard a sermon 2 days ago by a local pastor on the radio. Yes I like listening to sermons on the radio. Anyway, he was saying God won't be up in heaven crying over the people cast down into Hell. The pastor said God HATES those who do not love him. I was kind of taken back. I was thinking that message isn't a good way to win people to the Lord. "Hey do you know Christ? No? Oh well then he Hates you." 
Then I started thinking about if it was a true statement. I did some research. Here is what I found.

Psalm 5:4-6 
4 For you are not a God who is pleased with wickedness; with you, evil people are not welcome. 5 The arrogant cannot stand in your presence. You hate all who do wrong; 6 you destroy those who tell lies. The bloodthirsty and deceitful you, LORD, detest.

In Romans where it talks about Gods Sovereign choice it says this, 
Romans 9:13 Just as it is written, 'Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.'
This was first stated in Malachi 1:2-3, and if I keep going with this we'll end up talking about God's Sovereign choice and I am just not smart enough to explain this intellectually.
Ok another verse that mentions God hating something is Pr 6:16 -19. These are the verses that talk about the '7 deadly sins' as they are so lovingly called. These verses don't actually say God hates a particular person, but the sins the themselves. 

Proverbs 6:16-19 
16 There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him: 17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue,      hands that shed innocent blood, 18 a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil,    19 a false witness who pours out lies and a person who stirs up conflict in the community. 

We see that God obviously hates Evil. He hates those who are bloodthirsty; shed innocent blood. But I am not evil you say! I haven't killed anyone. Well it also says he hates Lying. We've all lied. No way around it. No excuses. We've all lied. But does that mean that God hates you?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say No. I can believe that God hates Evil. He has to. He is pure goodness and pure love. He can't tolerate evil. It is a direct contradiction to himself! So if you are a Christian, you aren't evil, you are a saint.

But that doesn't answer the question if God hates YOU! So you aren't a Christian. You don't love God. Dangerous territory I'd say. Well truthfully I think a lot of professed Christians don't Love God. Here is the perfect verse that totally go against God hating people. 

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

 I would conclude that if God gave his sons life for the world, he doesn't hate the people he sent his son to die for.

Bottom line: God loves you. He wants you to be saved. He wants you to spend eternity with him. But if you decide not to believe in the one who wants to save you, you will be going to Hell. He can't spare you. That would be unjust. God is just.

No comments:

Post a Comment